Subcategories work in a similar way to the already existent categories on Mobills. You can archive and delete subcategories of Expenses and also of Incomes.
Before the adding of subcategories to the app, you had to create different categories for each type of expense and income. With the adding of this feature, now each main category can have multiple others within it, all part of the same type of expense or income.
If you wish to archive a subcategory (to hide it from all the shown lists) or to delete it completely, just follow the steps below. Be aware that after deleting a subcategory it is not possible to restore it. Also, if this subcategory has any transactions on it, all transactions will be deleted as well. Be 100% sure before deleting a category or a subcategory.
On this article you will find the following topics:
How to archive a subcategory:
* (This tutorial works for both Expenses and Incomes)
1. On the Mobills main screen, touch the three dots on the inferior right side of the screen (More Options). When opening the 'More Options' screen, you will see the 'Manage' tab. Touch 'Categories' in order to access the categories menu:
2. There are categories for 'Expenses' and 'Incomes'. Touch one of these two options, depending on the subcategory you wish to archive.
3. On the 'Categories' menu, touch the subcategory you wish to archive:
4. On the following window, touch 'Archive' icon to hide the subcategory you've chosen:
Done! The subcategory is now archived. If you want to undo the action instantly, touch 'undo' on the right side of the message that popped up (the message will disappear after a few seconds).
If you wish to visualize the subcategories you archived, just touch the 'Archive' icon on the superior side of the screen, right next to the three dots.
In case you change your mind and want to restore a subcategory you archived, follow the steps below:
How to restore a subcategory:
1. Folow the previous step by step shown on this artcile to find the 'Categories' menu;
2. On the 'Categories' menu, touch the 'Archive' icon on the superior right side of the screen, right next to the three dots;
3. On 'Archived categories', you will be able to see a list of the archived categories and subcategories. To restore a subcategory, touch on the three dots nexts to subcategory desired and select 'Restore':
4. Done! The message 'Category restored' will appear on the inferior side of your screen. Done!
If you want to delete a subcategory, please be aware that it is necessary to archive it (as described above) (a procedure that avoids accidental deletions)
How to delete a subcategory:
1. First of all, the subcategory needs to be archived before being deleted. To archive it, follow the previous step by step shown on this article;
2. To delete a subcategory touch the 'Archive' icon on the superior right side of the screen and, after that, press the three dots next to subcategory desired and select 'Delete':
4. A confirmation message will pop up. Read carefully (all the transactions related to the deleted subcategory will be deleted as well). If you changed your mind, touch 'NO'. However, if you are sure and want to delete it anyway, touch 'YES'.
If there are any transactions related to this subcategory, another confirmation message will pop up. To confirm, type 'delete'. In the case, you want to move all the transactions from a subcategory before deleting it, touch the option 'Move transactions before deleting'. If there are no transactions related to this subcategory, the message will not pop up and there will be no need to type 'delete' to confirm.
- When you delete a 'father' category (that has subcategories within it and within it transactions), by selecting the delete and move options, all the transactions on the 'father' category (the main one) and on its subcategories will be moved to the category or subcategory of your choice.
- In the case the 'father' category is deleted without the option 'move transactions before deleting' being selected, all the transactions from the 'father' category and from its subcategories will be deleted.
Wish to move transactions between one category and another? It is very simple, check the following article: How to move transactions between Categories and Subcategories (Android)